One of my mentors once told me that any successful coach starts with a base of 3 core values both from a basketball perspective and an established set of team values. If anyone were to come to one of your practices or games, within half-an-hour they should know what your 3 core values as a coach are. My core basketball values as a coach are:
1) DEFENSE 2) REBOUNDING 3) GREAT SHOTS vs. GOOD SHOTS
If you can consistently hold opponents to a lower FG% and force them to take contested shots, win the rebounding margin battle, and get your players to buy-in to taking GREAT shots vs. GOOD shots, you will have the opportunity to win consistently at the college level.
These core values form the foundation for the Offensive & Defensive systems that are the base of my philosophy.
TEAM CORE VALUES:
1) OUR PLAYERS WILL:
a. Be Great Students: Be above average in the classroom and in life.
b. Represent York U at its best, at all times
c. Always be on time
d. Do the right thing, when it has to be done, without any exceptions!
2) OUR PLAYERS WILL:
a. Play Hard, 110% at all times!
b. Play Smart
c. Work Together & Be unselfish
d. Be a Great Teammate: Great Teams Have Great Teammates!
3) THE YORK BASKETBALL PROGRAM WILL:
a. Be a 1st Class Program
b. Recruit 1st Class Student-Athletes
c. Earn Support and Respect in the Community
d. Give Back to the Community
INDIVIDUAL WORKOUT PHILOSOPHY:
1. We need to consistently work on improving our games
2. Each player needs to become as skilled as possible
3. If we improve individually, we will become a more dangerous team
4. You are what you practice!
5. The more versatile you are as a player, the better chance you'll play!
STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING PHILOSOPHY:
1. We need to work on becoming bigger, stronger, quicker, and faster on a daily basis
2. We have to be prepared to grind games out
3. The more physical we are, the tougher it will be for our opponents
4. We will be able to wear teams down!
5. Your game will improve as you get stronger!
6. We lift year round! Two days per week in season and four days per week out of season.